Studying in EU

To have continued health insurance cover in Estonia, pupils and graduate students who go to study abroad must submit an application to EHIF and a document certifying their studies at a foreign educational institution, which must contain the following information:

1) name of the educational institution;
2) address of the educational institution;
3) given name and surname of the student;
4) personal identification code or date of birth of the student;
5) duration of the study period;
6) given name and surname, contact information and signature of the representative of the educational institution. õppijale

Health insurance is issued on the basis of the submitted document for a maximum of 12 months. Therefore, please remember that the certificate of study must be submitted to EHIF for every academic year. 

The insurance application document can be submitted to the state portal service "Ordering health insurance for pregnant and students abroad" or send it to the customer service office by post, e-mail or bring yourself to Customer Service Office of the Health Insurance Fund.

Pupils and students studying abroad and having Estonian health insurance receive necessary medical care in European member states, countries of the economic area and Switzerland on the basis of the European Health Insurance Card.  Health insurance cover remains valid in Estonia in a situation where a pupil or student goes abroad to study through a student exchange program. 

In Estonia, the following persons are entitled to health insurance: 

  • pupils acquiring basic education;
  • pupils acquiring general secondary education;
  • students acquiring formal vocational education;
  • higher education students who are permanent residents of Estonia. 
  • Doctoral candidates are entitled to health insurance only if they receive doctoral allowance. Health insurance for those receiving doctoral allowance is provided by the state, by paying social tax for them. Doctoral candidates are granted health insurance based on the data provided by the Ministry of Education and Research.


What to do if you have health insurance problems or questions while studying abroad?
Check the validity of your health insurance cover in the citizen portal or call EHIF's customer service +372 669 6630.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Did you find what you were looking for?

If you have any questions, please write to our client service Thank you!